Wednesday, May 24, 2017

What if we made Pocahontas, but the Native Americans are Smurfs?

So, I think I should bring up the elephant in the room. We are but a few days from the official opening of Pandora: World of Avatar at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
Yeah, I wish.

Judging from soft openings and previews, this land promises to be one of Disney's most ambitious and spectacular projects yet. And yet, many have questioned... why? Why Avatar? The film was successful when it came out, but that's really just because of the IMAX. I certainly don't recall seeking it out to rewatch it later on, and I believe I'm not the only one who did so.

And why Animal Kingdom? There were some cool creatures in the movie, sure, but they weren't the focus. The focus were the blue people.
This right here should be what Animal Kingdom is all about.

And many are annoyed that we're getting this instead of the never-built-because-Eisner-didn't-want-to-spend-too-much-money Beastly Kingdom.


Yeah, we almost got all of this.

I believe it really all comes down to hindsight. I'm sure Avatar looked like the next big franchise when Disney bought the theme park rights, and James Cameron still says that he has sequels in the works, but many doubt if those will come to fruition.

It's especially unfortunate when Zootopia was released last year and was a huge success, making over a billion dollars. And also being about animals. With a setting that many would love to see in real life.
See this? I want to visit this. I would pay good money to go to this in real life.

Now, I'm not saying Pandora is stupid; I'm actually excited for it. Early photos look promising and it just really looks like they went all-out to make it look as authentic as possible.
Not necessarily what we wanted, but that doesn't mean we won't enjoy it.

So will Pandora: World of Avatar be a loss, or a win? We'll have to wait until May 27, 2017 to find out for ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment